Using Camtasia for recording your on-screen activities can be a good idea. This solid video capture software not only allows you to record activities but also lets you edit them in real-time. Apart from that, it also has many other features that make it one of the best software in the industry. Still, many users look for Camtasia alternatives, mainly due to the limitations associated with this software. So here, we will tell you about the potential alternative to Camtasia, that you can use in place of this software.
But before heading towards these alternatives, let’s know the reasons why people look for Camtasia alternatives 2021.
Why You Should Not Use Camtasia Anymore?
There is no doubt that Camtasia is one of the best screen recording software. However, there are some prime disadvantages of Camtasia due to which you should not use it anymore:
- It has some issues related to the synchronization of audio and video.
- You may not find any auto-record feature with this software.
- It lacks some advanced features, which makes it unsuitable for professional usage.
- Don’t provide any subscription-based plan. This makes it a bit costly.
These are the major areas where Camtasia needs to make some improvements. Now, let’s splash into the Camtasia alternatives.
What Is The Best Alternative To Camtasia?
There are both paid and free apps available in the market that you can use in place of Camtasia. Out of them, we picked 5 paid and 5 free alternatives to Camtasia. Now, let’s know about them one by one:
5 Best Paid Camtasia Alternatives
We will begin with the paid alternatives that you can use in place of Camtasia screen recording software. All the programs that we will discuss are advanced and can let you work at a professional level.
#1 Cyberlink PowerDirector
The first alternative to Camtasia that we have picked is the Cyberlink PowerDirector. It is one of the widely used professional video editing software that also supports screen recording. In terms of popularity, it is way ahead of Camtasia. With this software, you can record videos on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices. You will surely love it if you are looking for software to make tutorials or how-to videos. The major features that you may find with this software are:
- Allows you to record either the entire screen or any specific part of it.
- Provides mouse cursor effect with 9 different colors.
- Supports the use of shortcut keys to start, stop, pause, or resume the screen recording.
- Supports both screen recording and audio editing simultaneously.
- Lets you edit the recorded videos with its plethora of professional editing tools.
Price Of Cyberlink PowerDirector
Compared to Camtasia, the pricing structure of this software is completely different. It offers monthly plans starting at $19.99 whereas its annual plan costs around $4.33 per month.
#2 Wondershare DemoCreator
Formally known as Wondershare Scrn, DemoCreator is one of the creativity software offered by Wondershare. It allows you to record on-screen activities along with some minor video editing features. By using it, you can make demos, tutorials, presentations, gameplay videos, etc. by recording and editing them in real-time. This screen recorder is compatible with Windows and Mac devices and the major benefits linked to its use are:
- It is easy to use and supports both screen capturing and webcam recording.
- With it, you can record videos in HD and 4K modes.
- It comes with an AI face recognition tool that can help you in removing the background accurately.
- You can add stickers or draw to your recording in real-time.
- You can edit multiple clips at once. Also, you can merge those clips for making them one.
- It also supports keyframing and the use of transitions. This can help you in making short animated clips.
Price Of Wondershare DemoCreator
This Camtasia alternative is quite affordable and costs only $59.99 for a lifetime. Besides, you can also subscribe to its annual plans at $39.99.
The third alternative to Camtasia that we have picked is the Screencast-O-Matic. It is used by a lot of users mainly due to its free screen recorder. Though for accessing its video editing tools, you need to opt for any of its paid subscriptions. This was primarily designed for Windows and macOS devices. Further, it also started supporting Android and iOS devices which makes it the best Camtasia alternative for Android/iOS devices. The prime benefits of using this screen recorder are:
- You can record videos for free without spending a single penny.
- Provides a robust video editor that can help you to work at both beginner and professional levels.
- Besides recording on-recording activities, you can also take screenshots.
- Apart from the above-mentioned devices, it can also work with ChromeOS.
- You can also host your videos directly through the cloud.
Price Of Screencast-O-Matic
As to Camtasia, this software is very affordable. This software comes with 2 paid plans named Deluxe and Premier. The Deluxe plan includes the basic features and costs around $1.65/month. On the flip side, the Premier plan costs $4/month and includes advanced video editing features.
This list will surely be incomplete with Screenflow. It is a very popular screen recorder and in most aspects it easily outperforms Camtasia. With the help of it, you can easily record videos, edit them in real-time, and share them with your target audience. Though you can use this multi-purpose software on Mac devices only. The key features linked to its use are:
- You can record the screen, camera, and mic at the same time.
- It can work on various programs including PowerPoint, Word, etc.
- With it, you can also create short animations and export them in GIF format.
- This software also comes with a plethora of resources including pictures, videos, and audio clips. You can use any of them in your projects.
Price Of Screenflow
Compared to Camtasia, the pricing of this software is also quite affordable. The standard lifetime cost of Screenflow starts from $149. Additionally, you can get access to the Stock Media Library at $60/year.
#5 TechSmith Snagit
The last software that we have included as an alternative to Camtasia is Snagit. Like Camtasia, Snagit is also a product of TechSmith, but this software is limited to screen capturing and recording only. You won’t find any major video editing tool with this software, though it can help you to record screens at a very affordable price. You can have a look at Camtasia vs Snagit comparison to know more about them. The major features that you will find with the software are:
- It offers a plethora of tools to edit photos and screenshots.
- You can create short GIF videos with this software.
- Using it, you can simultaneously record the screen, webcam, and mic.
- It offers a library of royalty-free music. You can use any of them in your clips for creating masterpieces.
- It supports both vertical and horizontal panoramic screen capturing.
Price Of TechSmith Snagit
Like Camtasia, this software is also available as a one-time purchase. The lifetime cost of this software is just $49 that is way less than the Camtasia.
These are the 5 best-paid Camtasia alternatives that you can use. In the following section, we have also mentioned some of the free software that you can use in place of Camtasia.
3 Best Free Camtasia Alternatives
There are some free and open-source alternatives to Camtasia available in the market. But there are lots of limitations and issues that you may face with them. So, it is only suggested to opt a free software if you want it for one-time use only. For long-term usage, it is always suggested to opt for a paid alternative to Camtasia. Now, let’s head towards the free Camtasia like software:
#1 Open Broadcaster Software
Commonly known as OBS, it is one of the most popular free alternatives to Camtasia. Like Camtasia, it also can work with Windows and Mac devices. Moreover, you can use it on Linux devices which makes it a Camtasia alternative for Linux devices. The key benefits of using this open-source software are:
- Officially sponsored by YouTube, twitch, and Facebook. This shows how reliable it is.
- Supports screen recording and lets you edit them in real-time.
- Allows you to add as many transitions as you want without any limit.
- You can get a preview of your projects without making them live.
- Provides an audio mixer using which you can remove noise and distorted clips from your videos.
It is the second free and open-source alternative to Camtasia that we have picked. With software can work with many high-end PCs and can is capable of recording in full HD resolutions. Bandicam can also assist you in recording intense gameplay videos with a whopping speed of 480 fps. The key features of this software are:
- You can record both screen and webcam at the same time.
- You can highlight the various parts of your screen or make drawings while recording the videos.
- It allows you to schedule the time of recording the screen.
- You can enable its cursor effects to display the hovering of the cursor.
The last free alternative to Camtasia that we have included in this list is the Camstudio. It is open-source software that is compatible with Windows devices only. It is a basic screen recorder and offers a limited number of features only. The major benefits of using this software are:
- It supports both webcam and screen recording at the same time. You can use the picture-in-picture effect in your videos to attract more users.
- By using it, you can remove noise or inappropriate audio clips.
- Camstudio also lets you add annotations to your videos.
So, there are free software programs that you can use in place of Camtasia.
The Bottom Line
Here we shared the list of best free and paid Camtasia alternatives. All the software that we have mentioned here is completely safe and you can use them without any worry. For short-term usage, you can go with free software, but for long-term usage, it is always suggested to go with a paid plan.
FAQs: Camtasia Alternatives
What Can I Use Instead Of Camtasia?
Snagit, DemoCrator, Screenflow, etc. are some of the software that you can use in place of Camtasia. Above we have also discussed other alternatives to Camtasia.
Is Camtasia Better Than OBS?
In terms of screen recording, you will find both Camtasia and OBS equally efficient. But as Camtasia is a premium software, you wide find a lot more video editing features with it as compared to Bandicam.
Does Camtasia Have a Free Version?
No, Camtasia doesn’t provide a free version. Though there is a trial version that will last for 30 days only.